Fortress Marienberg

wuerzburg-festung-marienberg-foto-andreas-hub.jpg

As early as 1000 BC, a Celtic refuge was located at this location. Construction of the current fortress was started in 1201 AD. The fortress served as the residence of the Würzburg prince bishops from 1253 to 1719. The main fortress, the part surrounded by a medieval moat, was renovated around 1600 and turned into a renaissance castle. The Echter bastion and the pump house date back to that time. After Swedish occupation in 1631, the fortress was renovated again and turned into a baroque castle complete with a royal park, wonderful flower beds in the summer and a magnificent view of the town below.


Deutsch Deutsche Version
Loading...