St. Kilian’s Cathedral is a highlight of German architecture from the era of the Salian Emperors. It is the fourth largest Romanesque church in Germany and includes the adjacent Schönborn Chapel. The cathedral is an important master piece by the architect Balthasar Neumann.
After extensive renovations, the St. Kilian’s Cathedral reopened to the public on the first day of Advent in 2012. The church has been restored to its original glory with modern touches added.
Original construction began around 1040. The towers on the eastside were completed in 1237. The interior was filled with stuccos by Pietro Magno in Baroque style from 1701 to 1704.
The cathedral burned out completely in 1945 and after years of rebuilding, the church was re-inaugurated in 1967. The outside was rebuilt true to its original shape and look. Original stuccos are still intact in the transept and the choir stalls. The altar, the tabernacle and the choir stalls were rebuilt by A. Schilling from 1966 to 1968. The choir stalls were redesigned by H. Elsässer from 1987 to 88. The impressive lineup of Bishop’s tombs include those of Rudolf von Scherenberg (buried 1495) and Lorenz von Bibra (buried 1519) by Tilman Riemenschneider. The 20-register pipe organ was assembled in 1968 by Klais.
The Schönborn Chapel is built onto the transept. The chapel is a significant work by Balthasar Neumann and it served as the final resting place of the Prince-Bishops of the House of Schönborn. The frescos were created by the royal painter Rudolf Byss. To the south is a Gothic cloister and a sepulcher with modern glass windows by G. Meistermann.
Monday to Saturday: 08:00AM to 07:00PM
Sunday, on public holidays: 01:00PM to 07:00PM
During Christmas, visitation of the interior of the dome is limited: 12/24: 10am to 2pm, 12/25 & 26: after 1pm, 12/31: 10am to 2pm, 1/1: after 1pm
Admission: Free. The Schönborn Chapel can only be visited as part of a guided tour.