Once the seat of the Earls of Wertheim and originally built in the 12th century by the Staufen dynasty, the fortress is one of the largest and most beautiful castle ruins in all of Germany. The fortress was partially destroyed by a gunpowder explosion in 1619 and heavily shelled during the 30-Year War. Today the fortress is owned by the city of Wertheim and it is a favorite tourist destination. From the main tower, enjoy wonderful views of the valleys of the Tauber and the Main Rivers, as well as the Spessart and Odenwald forests.
9am until dark
One of the largest and most beautiful castle ruins in all of Germany